Preston Party of Six

Preston Party of Six

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

No need to make New Year's Resolutions

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I've never been a big fan of New Year's Eve.  I worry about people that are out on the roads on this particular night.  I don't like to stay up way past my bedtime to watch a big ball drop.  And I don't like setting goals for the New Year that are mostly unattainable due to my overachieving, perfectionistic personality.

But what I do LOVE is the fact that God has absolutely no need to make New Year's resolutions!  He never changes (Hebrews 13:8).  God's way is perfect and His Word is flawless (Psalm 18:30).  And God's promise in Lamentations 3:23 brings me much joy and comfort with a New Year about to begin.


Sure, there are many things I'd like to improve and accomplish this year.  I want to be more patient since I am very impatient.  I want to laugh more since I can be way too serious.  I want to do more triathlons since I enjoyed the two I did in 2013 so very much.  And I want to devote more time to reading and studying God's flawless Word. 

So for these four reasons alone (and yes, there are MANY more things I want to improve and accomplish), I'm thankful for the promise of Lamentations 3:23.  'Cause if I'm honest, these four goals won't be met to my standards and yet God's love and mercies will still be there despite my shortcomings.

As I think back to God's faithfulness in 2013, I see the promise of Lamentations 3:23 fulfilled in our adoption journey.  God loves and cares about orphans, so why should I have ever doubted His faithfulness throughout this roller coaster journey?

One year ago tonight, New Year's Eve 2012, I didn't know who our daughter in China was.  Then on March 25th, when I first saw the face of our new daughter on a computer screen, I didn't know if I would be able to love and care for her the way she needed to be loved and cared for. 


On April 13th, when we held the first annual RACE for the Orphans 5K run, I didn't know how it would go or what to expect.

 We are busy planning for the second annual RACE for the Orphans that will be held on May 10, 2014
to help bring more orphans home to their forever families!

On August 6th, after waiting a very long 125 days for our LOA (Letter of Acceptance from China), I didn't know if I could wait another day to board the plane to go get our girl. 


On November 8th, I didn't know if I could handle leaving our two boys for 14 days as I boarded a big jet bound for China. 

 

On November 22nd, I didn't know how the transition home with Jenna would go. 




And today, New Year's Eve 2013, I don't know what the coming year holds for our family.



Nathan is with Jason and other fathers/sons at the Chick-fil-A Bowl in
Atlanta today and tonight, so we hit the skating rink!

But for ALL of my uncertainties throughout this past year and for the coming year, God is faithful to keep His promise.  He never changes.  He holds us in the palm of His strong, loving hand and wants us to trust Him.  I fail at this EVERY SINGLE DAY, but He knows my heart and struggles and loves me still.  Simply A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

So with three precious and exhausted children sound asleep well before midnight, I need to get back to folding laundry, doing dishes, and eating my favorite cereal (some things never change!) in my attempt to stay awake for when Nathan and Jason get home from the game AND to see that infamous ball drop in the city that never sleeps!

Happy New Year!

Thank you, Father, for your faithfulness.  Thank you for staying the same year after year.  Thank you for forgiving me day after day.  Thank you for blessing us with Jenna.  Thank you that Jenna will never spend another year without a family that loves and cherishes her.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment