Preston Party of Six

Preston Party of Six

Friday, March 15, 2013

Conversations

It's amazing to me the various reactions I get when I have conversations with people about our adoption.  The overwhelming majority of people have been supportive and are super excited for our family.  A few have asked questions that have led me to believe they aren't quite as supportive.  One example of this type of question was "Will you have enough room in your home?"  My first instinct was to say, "Most people in the world don't live like we do and would be thrilled to have our house!" I refrained and said matter-of-factly, "Yes, our new daughter will share a room with her older sister Shelby and she is very excited!" 

This past Sunday I flew to Ohio for a very brief visit.  My dad's mother/my grandmother, Eileen Snow, died at the age of 95.  She lived a long, wonderful life and I was thankful to have the opportunity to go see my dad's side of the family as we celebrated her life.  I knew the service would make me miss my own mom all the more, and it did, but it was also a time of healing as I reflected more on my mom's life as well as my Grandma's life.  It was also such a joy and blessing to have conversations about our adoption journey with aunts, uncles, and cousins that I rarely see since we are scattered throughout the country.  They are all so excited for us and look forward to meeting Jenna one day!

Then tonight, I had a short but precious conversation with Andrew, our 4-year-old son.  He was getting his pajamas on and we were talking about our family.  I asked him, "Who is your brother?" Andrew answered, "Nathan."  Then I asked him, "How many sisters do you have?" He said, "Two, Shelby and Jenna."  This made my heart melt to hear him already including Jenna into our family!!!  I said, "You're right, buddy!  Jenna is your sister even though we don't know who she is or what she looks like yet."  Andrew said, "Yeah, she's a question mark."  I chuckled, knowing he was referring to the picture frame in our family room with a big question mark in it that will one day be replaced by sweet Jenna's face.  I asked Andrew who already knows who Jenna is and what she looks like, and he said, "Jesus!" 

AMEN, son, AMEN!!!  As much as I long to know who are daughter Jenna is, it brings me comfort knowing that the One who created her is watching over her and will bring her to us in His perfect timing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment