Preston Party of Six

Preston Party of Six

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Your beautiful six-year-old hands

SIX YEARS OLD!  How can it be?

In the words of your big brother Andrew this morning at breakfast, “You’re a big kid now!”

With each passing year of my children’s life, I’m reminded how big you're all getting and how quickly time goes…and that it's important for me to cherish the time God has given me with all four of you. 

So last night, instead of focusing on after-dinner dishes, I sat down on the kitchen floor with you to help you create a big star out of Magformers.  We laughed as it fell apart time after time, but then we gave each other high-fives when the star finally stayed together! 

And it was during these moments on the kitchen floor that I took time to really look at your hands…your precious hands.  They are small like other six year olds, but due to ichthyosis, your hands don’t look like the hands of a six year old because they are very dry (even though we put lotion on them) and have lots of wrinkles.  But they are beautiful hands because they are part of you!  



Then I was quickly reminded that Jesus wants us to be His hands in this world, and it doesn't matter what our hands look like in order to do this.  You, my precious daughter, are blessed to even have hands! Many people don't have hands, arms, feet, or legs...and yet they can still be used by God.  But you, my girl, are so healthy, and even though your hands may have dry, cracked, wrinkly skin, they enable you to do so many things.  

With your hands you can write beautifully, you can eat healthy foods (rice and noodles are still your favorites!), you can throw balls, and you can do amazing cartwheels.  But my favorite thing you choose to do with your hands is hold my hands and wrap your hands around my face when you kiss me.  

Your hands are wonderful in so many ways, and I know our Heavenly Father is going to use you to be His hands in this world that so desperately needs His love.  Just keep your hands open and willing to be used by Him...and always, always, always be willing to let God's hands hold you!  

Today is your special day, Jenna Jean…the day God brought you into this world six years ago.  And although I didn’t give birth to you, this day will always be special because of the gift that you are to me, to our family, and to this world.

Use your hands, use your feet, use your smile, use your words, and use your heart to SHINE like a star for Jesus!


I love you, Jenna…Happy 6th Birthday!  

Love,
Mommy 

No comments:

Post a Comment